Thursday, January 21, 2010

Implore (April 2009)

(Hate the title. If only words like this actually came out of my mouth...)

To ask me to hesitate now
would be a costly mistake.
The simple fact is that I don't guard my heart well
& I never have. I never learned how.
It doesn't feel right
when I try to stop it. Or hush it.
Or cajole it in another direction.
I pretend to start trying,
but if you look into the green around the middle of my eyes
you'll find I'm actually standing still,
entreating you to take my hand & start walking
in a common direction.
If you ask me to wait
I'll get impatient and frantic.
I don't know how to be still.
I want to give in, untighten the screws in my chest
& kiss you on the mouth so you know
that I could take care of you.
So you can taste how I'm afraid too,
& see how being scared together is better than being alone.
I don't want to put on any pressure.
I only want to know how it feels
to have you look down at me that way you do
& know it only me those eyes implore to kiss.

1 comment:

  1. This one really got to me. not trying to be a narcissist but nothing more that I can relate to than being controlled by emotion. I'm really into the general theme in all of your poems of the physicality of emotion. It always seems like you ground your ideas in something physical, typically the body, your body metaphors are fantastic. Love this.

    ReplyDelete