Monday, March 22, 2010

Inspired by Dr Drew (2/11/10)

(So I have an addictive personality. I want the things I want all the time, in bulk. Obviously, this isn't always a good idea. So emerges this emo creation, slightly meladramatic, but I think we've all felt this is some capacity...)

It would be easier
if I were addicted to some sort
of liquid or powder. But you,
a breathing moving thing.
I can't get my hands around you
and fling you over the fire escape
and onto the even numbered street.
Eighth day, eighth year,
then that eighth month.
I thought maybe it would take
8 steps to get past you, over and around you.
Instead I take 2 steps forward
and fall 1 step back
(your song in my head, a flash
of your eye color, that yellow dress
I wore.) and it happens
so fast, before I can catch
a steady breath.
It's too hard to add and subtract
in the same moment
and so I've lost count
of where I should be.
I was always better with words.
And so I'll say
that you are like a magnet.
A magnet that pulls at me,
and it must be the metal
that I've embedded in my skin,
all those colors and words and lessons.
Those lessons that are supposed to
remind me of strength,
and with you they work against me!
And I suck into your body
only to wake up dazed and hung over,
convinced this whole thing was my fault.

No comments:

Post a Comment