Friday, March 26, 2010

Circle 9: Caina (Spring 2007)

(So this is from the worst moments in my life. It's interesting to think about why people hurt the ones they love. Its a safe move, but still drama and exciting... Anyway, Circle 9 is a Dante reference, the lowest circle of hell, reserved for betrayers. Caina is where betrayers of kin end up. I wish I believed in hell, and how logical the eternal punishments are. The Inferno might be the best poem ever. Maybe I'll post some of that. Ok, here's to learning from people who fuck you over...)

Do you think she meant to hurt me?
I must say, I think she did.
Betrayals are never truly accidental.
Somehow most duplicities become exhilarations
Bleak flutters from destroying trust that’s ripened over time.
Tangible pull towards that sound… it’s a crack!
The heart of a fool who’ll do anything for you,
Speechless when grasping the damage you’ve sowed.

Truly, I’d never have left her to cry.

So, mostly for the thrill of it
she stole from me a treasure, which
I’d only just begun to understand.
She sought him out, and with a spiteful heart,
decided she would love him.
(And then she was gone with no explanation,
which everyone knows is the same as a lie.)

Later she told me it all was inevitable.
But I must confess I’d resisted the knowing
that shameful abandonment of nurturing ardor
ends up the predestined, unavoidable end.

No comments:

Post a Comment