Thursday, February 11, 2010

Untitled (November 2009)

(This was an afternoon out with the boo bear. Autumn seems like a really cool place because its one of those transition moments, like dusk. Ov Wash Square Park is a central character...)

It's warm fall afternoon weather,
thought its really time for winter.
Yellow fan leaves are cluttering
the grey stone walks
that star out from the center of the park.
Smelly seeds from those same trees
are crushed against those same stones,
flattened by boot heels and paws
and carriage wheels and converse.
That pungent seed smell
smells like home
(ginko trees line the parkway that runs
perpendicular to Woodlawn Ave)
and I suddenly wish I could click my heels.
I'm making the trip soon,
but sometimes soon isn't soon enough.
There is no bitter cold to slow things here down
and so they are speeding along,
always happening,
everything together in the same moment
which lasts all day.
I can't catch my breath when autumn
lasts so long.

2 comments:

  1. i just thought i'd remind you i <3 you and you're an amazing writer
    -amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo I like this one. Can we be on a blanket in the park right now playing Stimp Stamp Stomp?

    oh no...it's snowing. again.

    ReplyDelete