Saturday, February 20, 2010

On Keeping Things Forever (and What Happens When You Can't) *Spring 2008* pt 2

(Some more prose since it's Sat. This is another installation from this piece. Breezy. Still true. Really, the was where this piece started out, cause I manage to keep my hands on things like keys, but sunglasses just vanish...)

Sunglasses are things I cannot stop losing. No matter how much I like them, they disappear when I least expect it. One day they’re here, the next they are gone. On my way out the door I reach for them, only to find they haven’t stayed where I left them. I can look under beds and in between couch cushions, on shelves and in drawers. They abandon me.

I can’t figure out what makes some things losable and others not. I mean, I really like sunglasses. What’s not to like about a lightweight stylish object hat keeps you from squinting. I just cannot manage to keep the same pair for more than a few weeks, maybe a precious month and a half. I’ve gotten into the habit of buying sunglasses cheap, or even stealing them from the five and dime. I can’t justify dropping any legitimate amount of money on something I know will disappear into the workings of my car or slip out of my window and onto the street.

I’ve started to think that it’s my fault. That I just haven’t found the right pair of sunglasses that satisfies my sun-blocking needs, and understands me for who I really am. I don’t believe that I treat them poorly, or neglect them in some way. I think that resting on top of my head or sitting properly on my face would be a perfectly acceptable place to exist. Certainly not worse than any other person’s face. Maybe if I could just find that magic pair, we would manage to stick together. Maybe up until now, it just hasn’t been meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment